Click the Pictures below to Purchase these books on Amazon

Purchase on Amazon

Thursday, October 13, 2016

What inspired me to become an Indie Author!


Daniel & Cassie (Author pic from 'The Awakening')

     Since I was a child I had dreamed of being a real writer and having a published book or two. It was something about seeing my thoughts, feelings and imagination coming to life on paper that exhilarated me and brought me so much joy. However, as an avid reader I saw how professional and perfect these books were both inside and out, then figured it was something simply out of my reach to afford or even be capable to do myself.

     As I began my own journey to accomplish my dream to write a novel a few years ago, I realized some very important truths about writing which I had honestly over looked. The first and most important was, I have always been a real writer. From the first time I had written a short story to share the imaginative world about my teddy bears with my mother and teachers, I had become a real writer. The many stories I continued to write and tell others after, were all part of my growth as a writer which has helped me finally push past my insecurities and officially publish something.

     Publishing, of course, was my next major obstacle to overcome. Somewhere along the way I believed I could only be a real author by getting one of the major publishing companies to officially pick up my manuscript and decide it was worth publishing. The problem was overcoming the fear of rejection and the thought that no publishing company would ever be interested in what I had to write and perhaps I was just not a very good writer. My goal in becoming an author was not to become rich and famous, although I wouldn't turn it away, but was to share my heart, thoughts, dreams and beliefs with others in a way where they can pick it up, think about and be encouraged or inspired by it. I was already aware that what I wanted to write about wouldn't be for everyone, nor would my style be approved by all those who pick my books up, however, I still wanted to try.

     It wasn't until a customer came into the business my family owns and began telling me about how she self-published a book that I realized being and Indie author was even a thing. Yet, I still had this thought in my head that self-publishing was just for those who couldn't handle the rejection from submitting their manuscripts to the real publishing companies and paying their dues to become a Real Author. However, like I mentioned above, once I got beyond my misconceptions and realized that I was already a real author, I began looking into what it meant to self-publish.

     I spent weeks researching into the subject only to become overwhelmed and exhausted by the process, choices and lack of knowledge I had on the entire subject of self-publishing, thus beginning to doubt my ability to become an author at all again. So, I decided to look into a self-publishing publisher company. There a many available out there, but the expense was also often way out there as well, especially for someone like myself with very little extra money floating around to make it happen.

     After many months of scrimping and saving for a basic self-publishing package and with much support from my family, I finally signed on with one of the more reputable self-publishing companies. At first I was very excited and the person initially helping me with the process was incredible to work with, but as the process continued, I found what the catch was, everything had a cost to it, and I mean everything. My initial package only covered so much, and of course if I wanted to do it right, I had to pay more. So, I did as much as I could on my own and endured the criticism and constant pushing from the experts to let them do it. They even offered many extra discounts and deals. The process became much bigger and more overwhelming than I had originally thought.

     However, when I finally saw my first book in print, I still felt the work and frustration was worth it, so I decided to sign up with them again to self-publish my second book. Once again, my frustrations began and the expectations for extra expenses started. But through the advice of my sons I had joined an authors group on Google Plus, in order to promote my first book, 'The Gift', and started to read about all these Indie authors who published through Amazon. The more I read about their experiences with the publishing and promotion process I began to realize I had been going through this the wrong way.

     When I looked into CreateSpace and Kindle Direct Publishing I quickly realized that everything I just went through and paid for to self-publish my first book was right there in simple to understand formats with templates, forums and help available every step of the way. The best part is it was Free, and for any extra design or editing help I may need, their prices were cheaper and I could pick what specific portions I wanted them to help do. Any questions I had were answered quickly and with extra advice or referrals to the forum to learn more as I needed. Plus, I didn't need any fancy software or programs to create my cover or inside with, as their templates where included and I could use the manuscript I had already written on Word.

     The final clinchers for me was not just how much easier it was to design and create my book, but how much cheaper it was to order printed copies from CreateSpace; how easy it was to upload everything to Kindle so I could offer my books as an e-book; and how they offered me a place to sell my books as well through Amazon. From beginning to end it still took time and a lot of work, but I found my experience so much more enjoyable and I had more control over how my finished product looked, felt and would reflect what I believed it should as the author. Plus, the moment it was finished, I could easily direct people who were waiting to get a copy, to buy one in print or e-book, immediately.

     So, what inspired me to become an Indie Author? The belief that anyone who feels led to write should be free to share their work in a way which they believe it should be presented. Being an Indie Author has allowed me to do just that. It has given my the chance to share my passion with others, without compromising what it is I want to share, nor making it so unobtainable that I can't encourage others to do the same. CreateSpace and Kindle Direct have made it accessible for me to accomplish my dream of being an author.

     With just releasing my third book, 'The Awakening', I no longer lack the confidence about whether I can get my writings published or not, I simply need to find the time to write. Now, if they can help with that, they would be even more amazing of a company than I already believe they are. (lol)

#PoweredByIndie





No comments:

Post a Comment

The Chronicles of Malachai's Most Popular Posts

Translate

Followers

The Gift by Daniel Sweetnam